Sunday, July 31, 2011
Brown Bagging it
As you prepare for the kids to head back to
school, one thing many parents forget or put off until the last minute is lunch. You can tell it’s true just by looking
at your grocery store. There are so many last-minute snacks and lunches that didn’t exist 10 years ago. That being said,
lunch can be as important as breakfast, especially during the school year.Children who eat processed foods and sugars often:
8:28 am edt
1. Feel slow and sluggish later in the day.
2. Lose concentration
3. Show signs of sugar highs and lows.
for packing a healthy lunch:
1. Include fruit and vegetables.
2. Offer milk or water; never soda.
3. Serve fruit juice; never fruit drink.
4. Prepare a good
mix of protein in your bagged lunch.
5. Use 100% whole-grain bread, rather than traditional white.
Another suggestion for making lunches fun and healthy is to get the kids to
help. When they participate in choosing and preparing their lunches, they’re more likely to eat them. Also, be creative;
cut sandwiches into shapes and leave notes in their lunches.You’re not alone; you can always go online for more information about preparing healthy lunches. It’s
worth the extra work to earn an A+ from your kids.